Friday, May 16, 2008

Serena's back freezes up, pulls out of tourney

Serena Williams withdrew from her quarterfinal match at the Italian Open on Friday due to a back problem, and older sister Venus Williams was beaten by defending champion Jelena Jankovic.

Serena Williams’ back froze suddenly while she was warming up on a practice court for her match with French qualifier Alize Cornet.

“It just happened all of a sudden in practice,” Williams said before heading to a hospital for tests. “I just went for a shot and then my back got a little stuck.”


Williams did not appear in much pain, carrying a large pocketbook over her left shoulder as she entered a news conference immediately after her withdrawal.

“I didn’t feel anything the last match, and I don’t expect this to cause any problems with my preparation for the French,” she said. “It just happened all of a sudden. I feel like I’m going to be good going into Roland Garros.”

This tournament is an important clay-court tuneup for the French Open, which begins May 25.

Jankovic beat Venus Williams 5-7, 6-2, 6-3, with the American committing 57 unforced errors to the Serb’s 24.

“I had a lot of great opportunities, and I made a lot of opportunities for myself. But then I made a mistake,” Venus said.

Jankovic’s semifinal opponent will be either second-seeded Maria Sharapova or 2005 runner-up Patty Schnyder, who were playing the night match.

Cornet will meet sixth-seeded Anna Chakvetadze, who held off Bulgarian qualifier Tsvetana Pironkova 6-2, 3-6, 6-1.

getCSS("3088874")Serena's back freezes up, pulls out of tourneySpecial feature


Zvonareva continues her clay-court streak
German teen Lisicki upsets Peer in German Open