Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Roddick headlines Atlantic City exhibition

ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. (AP) -Andy Roddick doesn't mind being the second-most famous person living in his house these days.

The tennis star has been overshadowed lately by his wife, model Brooklyn Decker, who is currently gracing the cover of Sports Illustrated's popular swimsuit issue, being featured on a 50-foot billboard in Times Square and has been doing the television talk show circuit.

"It's been a really cool process and she'll be the first to admit that it's been a complete whirlwind for her the last few weeks," said Roddick, who was participating in a conference call Tuesday to promote a tennis exhibition at Boardwalk Hall in April.


"I know she's really excited about it. I think it's better than it's her getting all the attention, because I don't look as good in a yellow bikini bottom."

Roddick has signed on to participate in the Caesars Tennis Classic that will take place April 10 and will feature an All-Star lineup of tennis greats such as Mats Wilander, Marat Safin and Ivan Lendl, who has not played competitive tennis since his retirement in 1994.

"I think we're all going to be curious to see how Ivan is hitting the ball," said Roddick, who has been battling a shoulder injury after losing to Marin Cilic in the semifinals of the Australian Open last month. "We haven't seen that in a while, so there will be a little bit of excitement over that. I grew up watching Ivan Lendl and Mats Wilander when I was a kid, so when I heard of this opportunity, I couldn't wait to be a part of it. I think it's going to be a blast."

Venus Williams will also be a part of the event as the hostess, but it has not been determined whether she will play.

Joe Domenico, the senior vice president and general manager of Caesars Palace in Atlantic City, said that he was happy to bring competitive tennis back to Atlantic City, even if it is just an exhibition.

"Caesars has a great history in sports and we're just ecstatic to be bringing this event to Atlantic City," Domenico said. "It's just a dynamic event, having all these tennis greats together."

Roddick will face off against Safin in the event and Wilander will play Lendl.

"My shoulder is getting better from Australia," Roddick said. "It's not perfect though. It's a little bit of a battle for me right now. If we can use an exhibition like this to stay in shape, then I see the benefit of it physically. I'd rather have exhibitions like this in April, rather than cramming them all in during December. It's definitely a good way to stay in shape without the pressure and expectations of competition."

Roddick said he expects to make a run at a Grand Slam title this season.

"I don't think I can have two consecutive comeback years," Roddick laughed. "I definitely think this is the best shot I have of getting one of the Slam events, based on the conditions and the competition."

Roddick said that he's never been to Atlantic City, so that's another reason why he's excited about the event.

"Now, between tennis and blackjack, I just hope to break even," Roddick said.