Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Fit-again, Nadal bullish about tour return

Rafa Nadal has shaken off the knee injury that forced him to abandon his Australian Open title defence last month and is confident of making a successful tour return at Indian Wells in March.

The world number three, who practised on an indoor court near his home in Mallorca on Monday, told Reuters the tendon had healed in his right knee and he was working to get back to the same level of fitness he reached at the start of the year.

"Right now, this week and these first few days back, it's a matter of taking things slowly," Nadal said in a courtside interview after his first training session of the month.


"I think things are progressing very well," added the 23-year-old Spaniard. "I have been working with the appropriate machines to help the tear heal as quickly as possible and also done a lot of physical work in the gym."

Nadal's latest injury setback forced him to withdraw from his quarter-final against Briton Andy Murray in Melbourne in January and he also pulled out of last week's Rotterdam event.

He said he was in solid mental shape and was planning to return to the tour to defend his title at the Masters Series tournament in Indian Wells, California where he also won in 2007.

"It's a tournament where I have almost always played well," Nadal said. "Let's see what happens.

"It's the first event I will have played for a month and a half and it's always more difficult to start like that. I am hoping to play well and build confidence for a strong start to the claycourt season."

Doubts have been raised over Nadal's ability to stay free of injury, in part due to a playing style which relies heavily on power and athleticism.

Nadal said he had no doubt he could coax his body back to peak fitness.

"I think I was there during the first month of the year," he said. "I think I am working well enough to get there again.

"That's sport. You never know when you start (your career) and when you finish."

PROLONGED BREAK
The six-times grand slam winner said he was not considering taking the kind of prolonged break that could help him permanently correct some of the physical problems that have plagued him in recent years.

"I am very content with what I am doing and I feel very lucky to be playing tennis," said Nadal.

"I am not planning right now to do anything else than dedicate my life to playing tennis."

Davis Cup champions Spain begin the defence of their title at home to Switzerland on March 5, the week before Indian Wells, but Nadal said he was unlikely to be available for the tie in Logrono.

Fit-again, Nadal bullish about tour return

 Slide show 



Nadal set for further tests on knee injurySergio sidelined for Depor