Friday, January 15, 2010

Serene hopes to modify winning sequence in Melbourne

SYDNEY - Serena Williams has won the Australian Open four times but the American is keen to add a fifth title this year and break a sequence that has seen her lift the Daphne Akhurst Memorial Cup on a biennial basis.

The world number one's wins have come in alternate years from 2003 until 12 months ago and should the pattern continue, she would have been better off staying in Florida and saving her victory speech for 2011.

"Don't say that," she protested. "It's not a bad thing to win every other year, so I'm not gonna complain about that.


"I want to win this year but if I can win guaranteed next year, I'm OK with that, too." For a women who has worked so hard to rack up 11 grand slam titles, Williams has a surprisingly poor record defending them.

Of course, she completed her own version of the "Serena Slam" when she won all four majors consecutively between 2002 and 2003, but the only time she has successfully defended a grand slam title was at Wimbledon in 2003.

Nowhere is that anomaly more striking that at the Australian Open, a tournament she took six years to win for the first time but is now her most successful grand slam event.

"I really like it here. It's like the United States but in Australia," she said.

"I feel really at home there and feel really comfortable.

"I feel like when I walk out there, people really want to see me do well. I think that helps a lot. I have a lot of Aussie mates."

FOUL-MOUTHED TIRADE

Williams almost did not make it this year after her foul-mouthed tirade at a lineswoman during last year's U.S. Open.

She escaped a suspension after the Grand Slam Committee opted to slap her with a fine and a two-year probation, but has been warned to be on her best behavior.

"I think I've spoken enough about it," she muttered.

Williams has always been one of the most powerful and athletic players on the women's tour but her greatest strength lies within.

While other players succumb to nerves and attacks of doubt, Williams never loses faith in her ability to win.

She showed her incredible fighting spirit when she saved three match points in her semi-final against Maria Sharapova to win a second Australian Open title in 2005.

She then provided a lasting reminder of why she could never be underestimated when, ranked 81st in the world, she won her third in 2007.

In 2009, she survived a mercury-busting heatwave, which she described as out of body experience, en route to winning a fourth title.

"I definitely enjoy playing in the heat. Maybe that's one of the reasons why I do so well," she said.

"The past couple times I won it's been extremely hot, so I expect the same temperatures again.But, with what I went through last year, I feel good that I'm able to endure that again last year.

"I definitely like to keep going when the going is tough. More than anything, I enjoy it.

"I don't really enjoy practicing, but the moment I step on the court it's like, this is what I was born to do."



Federer, SWilliams honored as ITF world championsRon wants Ballon back