Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Federer, Nadal cruise

DOHA, Qatar (AP) -Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal breezed through to the second round of the Qatar Open with straight-sets wins on Tuesday.

Playing with his trademark elegance, Federer, the world's top-ranked player, crushed Christophe Rochus of Belgium 6-1, 6-2 while Nadal, ranked No.2, beat Simone Bolelli of Italy 6-3, 6-3.

With no sign of a back problem that plagued him at the start of last season, Federer launched his 2010 campaign by breaking Rochus in games four and six - the Belgian guilty of three unforced errors in each game - to take the first set. He then broke Rochus in games one and seven of the second set to seal the victory.


Federer fired 12 aces in a match he completely dominated, firing 47 winners against his Belgian opponent. He next plays Russia's Evgeny Korolev on Wednesday.

"I got good practice in Abu Dhabi and I was able to create points," Federer said. "It was good to get on a roll. My movement was explosive. I am happy how I played."

Nadal also recorded an easy win to set up a second round clash with Potito Starace of Italy.

"I tried my best there. I gave 100 percent in the match. I got good practice in Abu Dhabi and that gave me good rhythm for this match," Nadal said. "Bolelli plays good shots so this was a tough match."



Dossena linked with AtleticoFederer says he can be unbeatable again