Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Pin upsets Makarova at Cincinnati Open

MASON, Ohio (AP) -Camille Pin upset seventh-seeded Ekaterina Makarova 6-2, 6-0 in the first round of the Cincinnati Open on Monday.

"I knew she was a tough player,'' Pin said. "When I watched her play, I knew there were certain ways she liked to play, and I tried not going to where she liked.''

Slovenia's Katarina Srebotnik became the first seeded player to advance in the Western and Southern Financial Group Women's Open. The fourth-seeded Srebotnik beat American Amanda Fink 6-3, 6-3.


No. 3 seed Maria Kirilenko of Russia, the highest seed to play on the first day, held off Su-Wei Hsieh of Taiwan 6-2, 7-5.

"The first day is always difficult,'' said Kirilenko, who lost as an unseeded player to fourth-seeded Marion Bartoli in 2004, her only other appearance in the tournament. "I knew (Hsieh) from juniors, so I knew she'd be difficult, and I was having trouble with the tension on my strings. They were too loose.''

Tamira Paszek became the second seeded player to be eliminated when she was forced out by illness in the third set of her match against Petra Cetkovska, who was leading 4-6, 6-3, 4-1.

Wild card Lilia Osterloh beat Anne Keothavong 7-6 (3), 4-6, 6-4 in a match that last more than 2 1/2 hours.

In other first-round matches, Nathalie Dechy beat Olivia Sanchez 6-2, 6-2, and Julie Ditty beat Yuan Meng of China 2-6, 6-1, 6-4, Stephanie DuBois knocked off Evgeniya Rodina 6-2, 7-6 (3), and Sabine Lisicki needed three sets to beat Anna Tatishvili 5-7, 7-5, 6-0.

The 26-year-old Pin lost to seventh-seeded Akiko Morigami in the first round of last year's Cincinnati tournament in a three-set match that went to tiebreakers in the last two sets.

"I knew I could win here,'' she said. "Last year, I got to match point, and Morigami went to the finals.''




Medina Garrigues reaches Fez quarters
Pin upsets Makarova at Cincinnati Open
WOODS AND MEDIATE FACE PLAY-OFF