Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Klepac upsets Szavay in Budapest

BUDAPEST, Hungary (AP) -Andreja Klepac of Slovenia upset top-seeded Agnes Szavay of Hungary 6-2, 6-3 in the second round of the Gaz de France Budapest Grand Prix on Wednesday.

Szavay, ranked 14th, committed several double faults in the first set and often appeared to lose her concentration.

"At Wimbledon, I didn't have a tenth of the excitement I felt here,'' Szavay said. "Playing before the home crowd usually helps players but now this backfired. I felt too much pressure.''


Fifth-seeded Lucie Safarova of the Czech Republic also had an early exit, losing to Anna-Lena Groenefeld of Germany 6-1, 6-4.

"I knew when I went on court that I would have a chance. It is a surprise but I'm really happy,'' Groenefeld said. "I think I served well today and played very aggressively from the baseline.''

Groenefeld will face second-seeded Alize Cornet of France in the quarterfinals. Cornet defeated Magdalena Rybarikova of Slovakia 6-2, 6-2.

Also, Karolina Sprem of Croatia defeated Tzipora Obziler of Israel, 6-2, 6-1.

The other four second-round matches are scheduled for Thursday at the Romai Tennis Academy.




WIE HAPPY WITH OPENING ROUND
Mauresmo holds off sixth-seeded Alize Cornet
Pirés: Raúl-Aragonés Is Like Me And Domenech