Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Venus Williams ready to add to title collection

ACAPULCO, Mexico (AP) -Venus Williams is ready to add to her collection of singles titles at the Acapulco Open.

The fifth-ranked American, who won her 40th title on Saturday at the Dubai Tennis Championships, is already feeling at home in Mexico.

"I have never been here before, but I grew up in California, so I got to know a lot from the Mexican culture and I kind of like it,'' Williams said. "This is my first time here and I hope to keep the momentum from last week and get the 41st title. ... I'm excited to be here.''


The seven-time Grand Slam champion is also looking forward to eating some Mexican food while in the country.

"I love spicy foods,'' Williams said. "Just today we were sitting thinking that is great to be here. I really enjoy Mexico. I have not even played yet, but it's great.''

The 28-year-old Williams, the top-seeded player in Acapulco, opens against Nuria Llagostera of Spain on Tuesday. Defending champion Flavia Pennetta is also in the field.

"Flavia is a great player. I would love to play against her in Mexico,'' Williams said. "I know I'm the big favorite but I don't feel the pressure. I know I have to go out and do it well, for me, but also for the fans.''




Venus Williams ready to add to title collection
Valencia Always Go Out To Win - Unai Emery
Venus Williams ready to add to title collection
Lotina Pleased With Deportivo La Coruna’s Point Against Osasuna