Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Tsonga, Wozniacki advance at China Open in Beijing

BEIJING - Top-seeded Jo-Wilfried Tsonga and top-ranked Caroline Wozniacki advanced Tuesday at the China Open. Tsonga reached the second round by edging Grigor Dimitrov of Bulgaria 7-6 (7), 7-5, and Wozniacki cruised past Jarmila Gajdosova of Australia 6-2, 6-3. Tsonga finished the match with nine aces and improved to 3-0 against Dimitrov. He will face Chinese qualifier Zhang Ze, who beat Li Zhe 6-1, 6-3. "I didn't move really well, didn't hit the ball really good, but I was on the court with my head," said the seventh-ranked Frenchman, who won his first career match in Beijing in 2004. "The China Open is the story of my life." Wozniacki was never threatened against Gajdosova, who committed eight double-faults and had 19 unforced errors. The Dane will meet Kaia Kanepi, who defeated Wozniacki last week in the third round of the Pan Pacific Open in Tokyo. "The next match is a new match and we both start at zero-zero," Wozniacki said. "I go out there and find out what I have and hopefully it will be enough." Third-seeded Vera Zvonareva of Russia defeated Klara Zakopalova 6-3, 4-6, 6-2, and Maria Kirilenko of Russia stopped U.S. Open champion Samantha Stosur 7-5, 1-6, 7-5. "I got more aggressive in the third set," said Zvonareva, who will face unseeded Ana Ivanovic. "I wasn't waiting for her to make mistakes any more and started playing my game." Also advancing were Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova, Flavia Pennetta, Virginie Razzano, Marion Bartoli and Carla Suarez Navarro. Other winners on the men's side included Albert Montanes, Philipp Kohlschreiber, Mikhail Youzhny, Fabio Fognini, Marcel Granollers, Ivan Ljubicic and Thomas Berdych.