Sunday, November 7, 2010

Retired Dementieva plans to start a family

MOSCOW - Olympic champion Elena Dementieva,who stunned the tennis world by announcing her retirement lastweek, said starting a family was one of the main reasons for herdecision to quit the sport.

"It is true that I expect changes in my private life in thenear future," the Russian, who ended her playing career at theseason-ending WTA Championships in Doha, was quoted as saying bylocal media on Wednesday.

"I don't want to give all the details because these are veryprivate, intimate things," the 29-year-old said.

Story continues below ↓advertisement | your ad here

"But I have to admit I've made a decision to quit mainlybecause I want to start a family, have kids."

The Muscovite has always been reluctant to discuss herprivate life but it has been widely reported that she is engagedto Russian ice hockey player Maxim Afinogenov.

Dementieva also ruled out the possibility of one day makinga comeback like Belgium's Kim Clijsters, who returned to thegame in 2009 after more than two years off to start a family andin her third tournament back won the U.S. Open.

"It was a very difficult and emotional but if I decided toquit that was it. I'm not coming back," Dementieva said.

To query or comment on this story emailsportsfeedback@thomsonreuters.com)

Copyright 2010 Thomson Reuters. Click for restrictions.

Forlan refuses to rule out moveDementieva beats Stosur at WTAs