Saturday, July 25, 2009

Top-seeded Tursunov loses in Indianapolis quarters

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -Top-seeded Dmitry Tursunov of Russia was upset in the quarterfinals of the Indianapolis Tennis Championships on Friday, losing 3-6, 7-6 (5), 6-2 to Frank Dancevic of Canada.

Dancevic, unseeded and seeking his first ATP title, will face third-seed Sam Querrey of the U.S. in Saturday's semifinals. Dancevic defeated fifth-seed Benjamin Becker of Germany to make the quarters.

"I've been playing well from the first round," Dancevic said. "I'm glad I was able to play solid against Dmitry and close it out."


Tursunov, ranked No. 27, received the top seeding after Andy Roddick withdrew because of a hip injury. Tursunov beat Dancevic in the 2007 Indianapolis finals and was runner-up in this event last year.

"He started getting hold of my serve in the second set," Tursunov said. "I had chances in the second-set tiebreaker, but I couldn't convert them."

Querrey advanced with a 6-4, 7-5 victory over Marc Gicquel of France, earning a spot in the semifinals for the third straight year. He has never made the finals.

"I like my chances, I'm playing well, but it's definitely going to be tough," Querrey said. "Frank is playing great and that will probably be my toughest match yet."

American Robby Ginepri beat countryman Alex Bogomolov Jr., 7-5, 6-1 to advance. Ginepri will face another American, John Isner, in Saturday's other semifinal.

Isner knocked off Wayne Odesnik of the U.S. 7-5, 6-7 (2), 7-5. The 2-hour, 37-minute match ended when Isner's return hit the top of the net and fell out of Odesnik's reach.

"That's the only time I've ever won a match like that," said Isner, the second-tallest player on tour at 6 feet 9. "You don't want to win like that, I was really lucky. That stinks for Wayne."



Marseille eye Heinze swoopPennetta, Rezai, Garbin into Palermo quarters