Sunday, March 1, 2009

Fish, Chardy reach Delray semifinals

DELRAY BEACH, Fla. (AP) -Top-seeded Mardy Fish edged Florent Serra 7-6 (2), 7-6 (4) on Friday to advance to the semifinals of the Delray Beach International Tennis Championships.

Fish will meet seventh-seeded Jeremy Chardy in the next round. Chardy advanced to his second semifinal of the year with a 7-6 (7), 7-6 (3) win over Marcos Baghdatis.

"I know he's a young player and he's certainly talented,'' said Fish, who has never seen Chardy play. "And I know he's had some great wins.''


Chardy, who lost his first career tour final to fellow Frenchman Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in Johannesburg earlier this month, initially held a 5-2 lead in the first set.

But Baghdatis forced a tiebreaker. At 7-7, Baghdatis double-faulted and smacked a backhand wide to surrender the set.

Baghdatis erred early on in the second-set tiebreaker. He netted a backhand to give Chardy his first match point at 6-2.

"It was tough but I play very well in the tiebreakers,'' Chardy said.

Christophe Rochus will face Evgeny Korolev in the other semifinal. Rochus advanced with a 6-3, 7-6 (6) win over 2000 Delray Beach champion Stefan Koubek, and Korolev posted a solid 6-2, 6-2 victory over Guillermo Garcia-Lopez.

"I'm looking forward to tomorrow and, hopefully, I can be even better,'' Korolev said. "I'm very happy with where I am right now. I'm happy with the way I'm playing.''

Rochus broke Koubek in the second and fourth games to secure the first set, but fell behind 5-2 in the second set before rebounding.

"I'm really happy because I've never beaten him before,'' Rochus said. "I lost four times. He has the kind of game I don't like to play.

"But I'm playing really good for the moment.''




Chardy beats Baghdatis toВ make Delray semis
Lotina Pleased With Deportivo La Coruna’s Point Against Osasuna
Netherlands Coach Not Pleased With Lack Of Minutes For Van Der Vaart And Huntelaar